Currently, it's 12:38 am Mon Mar 27 2017 in beautiful Miami-Dade County, Florida
Surfrider News for November
Dear Surfrider Foundation members and friends,
Happy Halloween to all. The Miami Chapter volunteer leaders have been hard at work protecting our local oceans, waves & beaches. We're a bit weary but cannot and will not give up the fight to protect our precious playground. Join our fight!
We're looking ahead to where we will focus efforts going into surf season and 2017.
First, a few 2016 successes:
- Attained resolution from Miami-Dade County regarding plastic bag ban
- Rallied local support and volunteer efforts for Hands Across the Sand and International Coastal Cleanup evnts
- Continued beach dune restoration efforts with the City of Miami Beach (Note: one of our board members sit on CMB’s Sustainability Committee)
- Partnered with Rhythm Foundation, festivals and SUP events to move toward #PlasticFreeEvents
- Launched Surf Movie Night series at the Palms Hotel for surfing community
And issues we're leaning towards in 2017:
- Rise Above Plastics: continued efforts to overturn the bag-ban pre-emption and an exciting new campaign to reduce cigarette butt litter on our shoreline (note that styrofoam is banned in Miami Beach!)
- continued dune restoration work with corporate and individual volunteer opportunities
- more SURF in Surfrider - look for more surf/movie/music parties and partnering up with our local surf shops
- beach access - we're beginning to take a closer look at public parking access to the beach. Have you seen any former public parking spots disappear??
- WISH LIST: Blue Water Task Force - better testing/public reporting of water quality at our local beaches. This is an area we've struggled with on volunteer capacity and expertise. We need some help making this program happen.
On that note, we can do more for our local beaches by having more of YOU involved. Will you consider joining our volunteer board (2 spots open for 2017), getting involved in a committee, showing up at more Surfider events ???
Check out our mission http://surfrider.org/mission. The Surfrider model is based on a powerful activist network. Without grassroots activists in Miami, we got nothing.
Let me know where you would like to plug in.
See you at the beach,
Jayson Koch, Chair
chair (at) miami.surfrider.org
PS. If you are not a current Surfrider member, please join now http://www.surfrider.org/support-surfrider?source=CH37